FIRST YEAR STUDENTS:
Culinary Science I P introduces students to theories and hands-on experience in the field of culinary arts, including an introduction to the world of food preparation, travel, and the tourism industry.
Selection of skills and knowledge learned throughout the course:
- Fundamentals of food preparation and presentation
- Kitchen safety and sanitation
- Menu development
- Event planning
- Food-cost & control
- Customer service and entrepreneurship
- Management skills
- Culinary skills
- Knife skills
Students will acquire culinary skills needed for careers in the restaurant, travel, catering, and food service industries.
SECOND YEAR STUDENTS:
Culinary Science II P expands students’ knowledge and skills by providing the opportunity to work in an industry grade commercial kitchen setting, as well as opportunities to interact with industry partners and experts via guest presentations and/or visiting local industries.
Students will participate by completing a variety of advanced level hands-on tasks and longer projects that serve to assist them in demonstrating competency in all phases of food service and food production.
Students will participate in a capstone project and a series of labs that progress toward mastery of the college and career readiness skills, and competencies for an entry level position. Students will acquire entry level culinary skills needed for careers in the restaurant, travel, catering, and food service industries.
- ServSafe Food Handler's Certification
- Students receive a total of 30 elective credits
- College Credit available through Diablo Valley College
- UC “g” Course Credit
- Students have the opportunity to participate in the SkillsUSA Competition.
Eligibility & Requirements
- High school junior or senior
- Student must be enrolled in one of the following districts: Castro Valley USD, Hayward USD, San Leandro USD, or San Lorenzo USD.
- AM and PM sessions available
- Please refer to our Bell Schedule for session hours, by clicking here
No cost for high school students.